Monday, October 15, 2012

Who loves Cheese Dip??

Update: Wow! if you are here visiting from Pinterest, I appreciate you! I had no idea this post would be so popular, but I am honored. After you read this post please feel free to stick around or come back and check out some of my other blog posts. I blog about several things including recipes, crafts hairstyles and neat tricks that have helped me out or saved me money. I would be happy to have you as a subscriber or commenter as well. If you have any questions please contact me using the button to the right and I will respond as soon as possible. Thanks again!

 Hello again!  For the last few days I have been dreaming about Cheese dip, not the Velveeta kind, I'm talking about the creamy, gooey, white kind you get at the Mexican restaurant. They sell a poor facsimile of it at my local grocery store, but it's not the same and I was thinking that I really ought to share something that I already knew before Pinterest. Guess what!?!?! I know how to make that liquid gold that is Mexican restaurant cheese dip. This is the real deal, I got it from the manager of one of the many Mexican restaurants that we have in town. We used to go there a lot before money got tight and the manager, who I am pretty sure is a gay male, REALLY liked my husband. So, he was always giving us free stuff, including this recipe and the recipe for authentic flan (I'll have to save that for another day.) But, wait! There's more! Today's post is a twofer, I am also going to give you my best friend making, party invitation garnering Guacamole recipe....yep, you just heard those angels singing again. So without further ado, let's get to it!

Cheese Dip

You will need: 
1 lb. White American cheese, grated (Land o lakes is the best but any kind will do, you will have to ask for it at the deli counter. I ask them not to slice it, since I need to grate it.)
3 cups milk 2 cups milk (I've been finding that with three cups of milk this just doesn't get thick enough so I've reduced the recipe to two cups of milk and gotten better results)
1 small can diced jalapenos



Pour your milk into a saucepan and begin heating it on medium. You do NOT want to boil it, because it will boil over easily.


Once the milk is hot, steam will start rising off the top. At that point you want to start adding your grated cheese a handful at a time. Add a handful, stir until melted, add another handful, etc. If you add too much you will end up with a big clumpy mess. 


When you have added all of the cheese you will want to add the diced jalapenos. I can't tell you how much to add, I used about 1/4 of the can and poured in some of the juice, because I like a slight burn at the back of my throat when I eat it. It was not too hot for my kids though.


It will be really thin at first, just keep stirring and it will thicken up. When it reaches the consistency that you like, it's ready to eat! Easy Cheesy, only 3 ingredients to cheese heaven. 


Guacamole

You will need:
4 ripe avocados (to check for ripeness, you want them to be more of a purple than green. It should give just slightly when you press on it with your thumb.)
1 tomato
1 onion
1 cup of cilantro, chopped
4-6 cloves of garlic (depending how much you like garlic)
1 jalapeno
1/2 - 1 lemon or lime (I prefer lime, but will use lemon in a pinch)
Salt to taste

First, you should halve and pit your avocados. The easiest way to get the pit out is to push the blade of your knife into the middle of the pit and then twist it out. (Did you know you can save the pit and sprout it?)


Spoon out half of the avocados into the bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher.


Cut the rest of the avocado into cubes and scoop them out into the bowl. You can cut it right inside the skin and then just scoop the cubes out with a spoon.



Tear off about a cup of cilantro leaves. An easy way to chop these is to put them in a small bowl and use your kitchen shears to snip them up.


Dice the onion, tomato and jalapeno and mince the garlic (or just use a garlic press, like I do.) and add those to the bowl. Squeeze half of the lime on top, sprinkle it with salt and stir to mix.


Taste and adjust the lime, garlic and salt as needed. Look at all the pretty colors!!! 


And of course, the best part, enjoy it!






Let me know what you think in the comments
below!













MMMMM Tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Both recipes look and sound super yummy to me!!! ; ) Will have to divide the recipe for me, since hubby doesn't eat avocados.

    ReplyDelete

Get widget