Monday, October 8, 2012

Potato chips...in the microwave?!?!?!


Okay, I have to start by saying that while I am not a HUGE fan of potato chips, I really do enjoy some salt and vinegar chips once in awhile. My mom buys snack packs of chips for my kids to take to school for snack time because I am a slacker don't buy all that crappy, snacky type of stuff for them. Also, I usually forget to buy anything at all for them to take for snack, but they accept me with all my faults and love me....most of the time. Today, my middle child (we will call her ray bear) came home eating her snack. I'm not sure why she didn't eat it at school, but when I saw that bag of salt and vinegar chips I started wanting some.

Coincidentally, I read a post today (at my new favorite blog here) about how you can make chips in your microwave. I wondered if I could make salt and vinegar chips though. After spending a bit of time with my boyfriend, SeƱor Google, I discovered that yes, you CAN! I decided to try it right then and there. After reading a few recipes and deciding what I thought would work best, here are the results! You should note that you can eat them a whole lot faster than you can make them and I dare you to wait until you are finished making them to actually eat them. Go on, I dare you!



You will need vinegar, salt, a couple of potatoes and some spray oil. I am sure you can use Pam or something like that, but I have a reusable oil spritzer with olive oil in it. First you will want to slice the potatoes very thin , like maybe 1/8th of an inch. I used a mandolin which made it quick and the slices were all very uniform. If you don't have one, just use a very sharp knife and get them as thin as you can. BTW, I should also let you know that I did not peel the potatoes, but you can if you want. Next you need to soak them in vinegar, I started with 15 minutes, but couldn't really taste it. I would recommend an hour or longer if you can wait that long.


After they have soaked for awhile, get a regular dinner plate and spray it with oil then sprinkle a bit of salt on top. You really don't need much at all, seriously, trust me, and then lay the slices out on the plate in a single layer. Make sure they are not touching because they will stick together. Don't put any salt on top, I sprinkled a bit on top of the first batch and they were WAY salty.



Stick them in the microwave for five minutes. Dance a little jig in front of the microwave while you wait. Who knew five minutes was soooo looong!



Then take them out and flip them. Be careful, the plate will be hot. I also rearranged them because the middle ones didn't seem to be as done as the outside ones.


Last, stick them in the microwave for about 1 -3 minutes longer. Be sure to keep an eye on them because they will go from done to burnt very quickly.



When you take them out, let them cool for a minute or two so you don't burn your mouth. They will also get crispier as they cool. We had a really hard time waiting long enough to get a bowl full so I could take a picture. They were THAT GOOD! 


About 5 seconds after this picture the bowl was empty. I did two potatoes and it took me about 5 plates to get them all done. By the last round my microwave must have gotten so hot that they got burned before the first 5 minutes was up and the hood fan turned on automatically. That's probably not a good thing. We still ate the last batch though. I am so excited about this that I just HAD to share. I love that this is a much healthier way to enjoy potato chips. Now, go and make potato chips, you know you want to!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get widget