Thursday, October 4, 2012

How do ya like them apples?

Happy OCTOBER!!! It's apple time and as you may have seen in a previous post, I recently went to Jaemor Farms and bought a lot of apples. I have a recipe for peach cobbler that is so delicious and I make it when peaches are in season, but today, I decided I should try it with apples and here are the results.


It looks so yummy and trust me, it was fantastic!


Ingredients

Filling
4 cups sliced and peeled apples (any fruit would probably work)
1 1/2 cups sugar
cinnamon to taste (optional)

Batter
1 cup butter
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups milk

You want to start my peeling, coring and thinly slicing your apples. I have one of those combo units from pampered chef that I decided to use. It doesn't always work the way it should, check it out:


The cinematography is thanks to my youngest child, Stinkerboo, and yes, I always speak to my ingredients in funny voices. That's what they mean when they tell you it's made with love. When you are done loving cutting your apples you will then want to mix them with the 1 1/2 cups sugar and cinnamon and just let that sit for about 20 minutes stirring occasionally, this is what it will look like at the end of that time.


Meanwhile preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put your butter in a 2.5 qt baking dish or larger and place it in the oven to melt. This was my first time baking this cobbler in stoneware and It turned out really well. This is my deep covered baker from pampered chef and I highly recommend it. If you get one be sure to ask your consultant to email you the free cookbook that comes with it.


Keep an eye on the butter to make sure it doesn't burn in the oven and take it out as soon as it is melted, but in the meantime you can go ahead and mix up your batter. Sift together the flour, sugar and baking powder and then whisk in the milk, lumps will remain. (BTW, do you like my frankenstein nail polish?)


Pour the batter into the dish on top of the butter. I know this seems backwards, but trust me, the batter cooks up around the fruit and the butter rises to the top to create a nice crust. It's magic! 


Once the fruit has been in the sugar for 20 minutes you can go ahead and pour it on top. Don't STIR!!!! Just spread it out on top and let it be.


You'll need to bake it around 45 minutes to an hour depending on your stove and what type of baking dish you use. It's done when you can insert a cake tester or knife in the center and it comes out clean. This is a great dish to take to a covered dish or just to have at home. I hope you'll give it a go and let me know how you like it in the comments below!



1 comment:

Get widget