Tuesday, October 16, 2012

I made my own face cleansing cloths!


Okay, once again I am bringing you another idea compliments of Jillee. I saw her post about making facial cleansing cloths/baby wipes and I was so intrigued. It's no secret that I am broke frugal. I am also somewhat lazy, not in the "I'm not going to clean my house" kinda way, but more in the "I'm too tired to wash my face, I'm just going to bed" kinda way. Plus, I just really hate the way that water drips down my neck and into my cleavage when I try to wash my face at the sink. It never works the same for me as it does for the cute model in the face wash commercial. You know, that really cute girl with perfect skin who just splashes water on her face and then opens her eyes with a smile on her face? Yeah, when I try that water drips into my bra and then some errant soap suds drip into my eye and I start shouting because it burns and while blindly walking towards the towel hanging on the back of the door I trip over the cat and end up with a concussion. I also have to say that I was compelled to do something to get my eye makeup off every night since my Mary Kay lady told me that I would get eyelash mites if I didn't (eeeeewwww!). So once again, when I saw this I was INTRIGUED! I made some and I love, LOVE, LOVE them!!! They get all of my makeup off and remove dirt AND my face feels so soft afterwards. Not to mention, I can tell you (from personal experience) that these are very soothing to and help heal chub rub (If you don't know what that is then you are skinny and so it doesn't apply to you anyway). So here is my tutorial, with Pictures to follow.  

Face Wipes/ Baby Wipes

You will need:

Large container (I found that a large leftover coffee canister was perfect for this)
Roll of paper towels (I like the select a size, because the small size makes the perfect face wipe)
4 cups warm water (some use distilled to inhibit mold, but I just boil the water and haven't had problems)
2 tbs Extra Virgin unrefined coconut oil (so good for you inside and out)
2-3 squirts of Your fave face wash or baby wash

Cut the roll of towels in half and then cut the cardboard roll and pull it out of the middle. I used a bread knife to cut it, but I am sure an electric knife would be even better. With that done, you will be able to pull the wipes from the inside kinda like a dispenser. Put the roll in the canister, save the other half for later, or use it to make some wipes for a friend. If you are not using distilled water you will want to boil it to keep away any mold. While it is still hot or warm you want to add the coconut oil so it will liquify. The water needs to be more than 76 degrees for it to liquify. Stir it until completely dissolved and then add 2 -3 squirts of your favorite face wash or baby wash and stir again. Pour the mixture over the towels being sure to soak the whole roll. That's it, you probably want to wait for the water to cool before you try them though. I have also found that they are extra oily if you use them right after you make them. It's best to let it sit for a couple hours before you try them out. Check out the results, it removed all of my black and purple makeup! Cool huh? 


The coconut oil is what takes the makeup off and moisturizes your skin. I have to say that my complexion is so much better since I started using these. I used to get acne really bad, especially at THAT time of the month, but I am proud to say that this picture was taken when the acne should be the worst and I only have one blemish that is actually in the healing process, not the pus filled process. So, I am all for this, plus you really should check out this article about coconut oil. It is antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal and anti-hatred. Okay, maybe I made that last one up, but it's awesome stuff! It's also been proven to help with Thyroid function for those of us with hypothyroid disease. Did I mention how much I love the stuff!? In case you are wondering where you can find it, I bought mine at the International farmer's market, but I think whole foods would carry it and I am pretty sure that my local Kroger carries it in their organic section. The main thing is you really want to make sure that it is unrefined to get all of the benefits. Anyhow, I hope you will give this a go and let me know what you think in the comments section. If you try it out, let me know what benefits you notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Get widget