Tuesday, February 26, 2013

This one's for the boys!

Has anyone else out there seen these ads at Walmart to make your headlights look like new? They look like this:


I always wondered about them, because the headlights on my 1998 Grand Caravan look like this:



I was beginning to look into having them fixed because I feel like my lights are barely visible at night and I was worried about it. However, the ads like the one above never really said what was involved so I put it off. A couple of weeks ago I happened upon a pin that said you could do it yourself with a little bit of toothpaste. I researched the product at Walmart and found out that there was sanding involved and it costs about $20. Having it done professionally costs even more, around $80. I thought I would go ahead and give the toothpaste method a try. I mean it was practically free since I already own toothpaste and an old toothbrush. I had nothing to lose right? Have I mentioned that I am cheap frugal? So, I broke out an old toothbrush, my Colgate, a bucket and a sponge and got to work. It really only took me about 10 minutes to do both lights. 




And voila!


Not exactly like new, but a heck of a lot better and way cheaper, which in my mind is a win-win! BTW, please excuse the fact that my car is missing her bumper. Big Bertha (that's really her name) is undergoing some repairs at the moment. 

On a funny side note, my youngest daughter, Stinkerbell, happened to walk outside while I was doing this and when she saw me she gasped and said "Oh my gosh Mommy! Who's toothbrush is that?!?!" I was really tempted to tell her that I was breaking in a new toothbrush for her, but I refrained. Kids say the cutest things. 

Well, now you know how to give your vehicle a 10 minute face lift and you have an excuse to buy a new toothbrush. Get busy!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Get widget